The lighthouse was built in 1860 by Thomas and David Stevenson and was constructed to help vessels navigate the Corran Narrows on Loch Linnhe. The Lighthouse is a 13 metre high white painted tower with a gold painted gallery-lining and service room, below the lantern. The Lighthouse was one of the first in Britain to become automatic in 1898, approximately 10 years before any lighthouses in England.
The Corran Narrows is a narrow channel with strong tidal streams which together present additional challenges for navigation. A White/Red/Green sector light shines both up and down Loch Linnhe, and works in conjunction with two Precision Directional Lights installed either side of the Narrows (Corran Narrows NE and Rubha Cuil-Cheanna). These two lights were put in to assist with larger cruise ships visiting Fort William.
